How Much Paint is Required to Paint a Room?
You need to calculate the entire surface area of the room to start calculating how many litres of paint for a room will be required. Then you need to subtract the total surface area covered by windows and doors that won’t require painting. Then you need to divide the remaining surface area with the surface area that will be covered by 1 litre of paint. Let’s take a look at the exact steps to follow to calculate the paint required per square foot.
- Calculate the perimeter of the room by adding the length of each wall in the room
- Measure the height of the room and multiply the height by the perimeter to get the surface area of the room
- Calculate the individual surface area of each window and door present in the room and add them together
- Subtract the total surface area of windows and doors from the entire surface area of the room to get the paintable surface area in the room
To calculate how much paint per sq ft, you need to know approx. how much area will be covered by 1 litre of paint. As a general rule of thumb, let’s consider that 1 litre of paint will cover around 130 sq ft. Now, different types of paint will have different coverage of the surface per square foot. You can refer to the manufacturer’s guide to knowing how much paint per sq ft will be required to help calculate how much paint is required to paint a wall.
- Divide the paintable surface with the surface area that will be covered by 1 litre of paint
- This calculation will provide the paint for one room that will be needed for your painting project
- This formula will also provide how much paint is required to paint a wall in your room
A case for Calculating Paint for One Room
Let’s consider a room where the length of each wall in the room is 10 feet and the height of the room is 7 feet.
- Perimeter of room = 10+10+10+10 = 40 feet
- The surface area of the room = 40x7 = 280 sq. ft
Now, consider the surface area of each window and door is 15 sq ft. and 20 sq. ft. respectively
- Surface area not covered by paint = 20+15 = 35 sq. ft
- Total paintable surface area =280-35 = 245 sq. ft
Assuming 1 litre of paint covers 130 sq. ft. depending on how many coats of paint on interior walls are used.
- Amount of paint required = 245/130 = 1.8 ~ 2 litre
Therefore, around 2 litres of paint will be required to cover a room of the above-mentioned dimensions. You can also use this method to know how much paint is required to paint a wall depending upon how many coats of paint on interior walls are used.
How Can Asian Paints Help You with Painting your Dream Home?
The Asian Paints Safe Painting Service is a one-stop solution for all your painting needs. The Asian Paints Safe Painting Service provides different facilities such as colour consultation, supervised painting, and trained professionals that will provide a clean and precise paint job. Asian Paints is a quality painting company that provides post-painting professional cleaning with deep sanitization and 1-year service product warranty.